Chignon (what does it mean? )
A chignon is kind of like a bun, but not exactly. It’s a knot of hair arranged on the back of a woman’s head, but instead of being piled on top, it sits at the back of the head, and specifically at the nape of the neck. This low up-do is a chic way to class up your everyday bun. You can wear it to a dinner, a formal dance, or a wedding.
How to do a chignon hairstyle
This knot can be done in many variations and can be worn at the side for an even more elegant look.
A basic chignon bun be accomplished in just a few steps, but you need two large bobby pins, four small ones, and a tail comb,
- Use the comb to part your hair down the middle, smoothing it behind the ears and gathering it at the nape of the neck.
- Now, gently twist your hair from the nape of your neck to the ends, starting to coil it counter clockwise.
- Keep twisting your hair into a bun shape with this circular motion, using your index finger to hold the shape in place.
- Place a large bobby pin on each side of the bun to secure it, carefully pulling and loosening edges to get your desired shape. Afterwards, secure this shape all around the bun using the smaller bobby pins.
- Use your tail comb to shape and volumize by slipping the end of the comb through the hair and pulling outward very lightly.
- Finish with a sheer finishing spray to set the whole style
Here are some other popular and stylish chignon buns that you can accomplish with ease thanks to our step by step guidance.
1. Sleek knot chignon
This look is dramatic, tight, and features a low side part. Apply conditioner to dry hair instead of gel, which can get crunchy. Create a side part that lines up with the middle of your eye. Then, smooth the sides and father your hair into a low ponytail with the help of a brush. Finish it with an elastic band, leaving out a 1/4 inch section of hair. Twist the main piece into a figure 8 shape and bobby pin to secure, finally wrapping the loose piece around the base of your ponytail.
2. Side swept chignon
This wavy look just needs a curling iron to give it that fresh, Hollywood look. Leaving bangs out, gather hair into a side pony. Hold a curling iron vertically to add some curl to the ponytail. Then, soften curls with a brush and lightly tease hair to slightly add volume. Now create a loose bun and twist it around your hair elastic, securing the ends with pins. As your last step, hold your curling iron at a 45 degree angle, wrapping bangs around to create a spiral. User fingers to loosen them into waves.
Retrieved from https://herbeauty.co/